Knitting Simple Mittens
A Pattern by Liz Chandler @PurlsAndPixels
Learn to make your own mittens for everyone with this simple mitten knitting pattern. These basic, but classic knit mittens are a perfect winter staple. Make them in solid colors or mix it up with variegated yarn for a vibrant look. This easy to follow knitting pattern walks you through how to make these mittens, with row by row written steps. Comes with instructions for adult extra large, adult medium/large, adult small, child, toddler, baby, and holiday ornament sizes.
How these Basic Knit Mittens are Made
You will make this pair of mittens with Caron Simply Soft Yarn and Double Point Needles. Or, substitute any brand of worsted weight yarn in any color. These mittens are made one at a time, and worked from the bottom up.
This is an intermediate knitting skill level pattern that requires a general understanding of knitting in the round, double point needles, increases, and decreases.
- Adult Extra Large size fits men with larger hands or 9 to 11 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 12 inches top to bottom.
- Adult Medium/Large size fits men and women with larger hands or 7.5 to 9 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 11 inches top to bottom.
- Adult Small size fits women with small hands and older children or 6 to 7.5 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 10 inches top to bottom.
- Child size fits most boys and girls age 4 to 10 years of age or 5.5 to 6 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 8 inches top to bottom.
- Toddler size fits most boys and girls age 2 to 4 years of age or 4.5 to 5 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 6 inches top to bottom.
- Baby size fits most boys and girls age 0 to 2 years of age or 3 to 3.5 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 5 inches top to bottom.
- Holiday Ornament size measures 2 inches wide, without thumb, by 4 inches top to bottom.
Find my full size chart and how to measure here.
If you use the materials suggested in this pattern, your final product will be machine washable. To keep your mittens looking their best, hand wash or machine wash separately on delicate cycle in cold water. You may tumble dry on low heat, but laying flat to dry is recommended.
This listing is for a digital download of my simple mitten knitting pattern, and is not a physical item. You will be able to download a PDF file immediately after your purchase has been processed. If you have any trouble with your order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This pattern is for personal use, gifting, and charitable donation of completed items. You may also sell handmade items created using this pattern. Do not copy this pattern and distribute it. If you’d like to share the pattern, refer your friends to my website, purlsandpixels.com/shop/, so they may obtain a copy.