Knitting Simple Beanie Hats
A Pattern by Liz Chandler @PurlsAndPixels
This simple hat knitting pattern teaches you how to make basic beanies in all sizes. These classic unisex hats are a perfect first hat to knit, and they also make excellent gifts for everyone you know. This PDF knitting pattern walks you through making a hat with clear, row by row instructions for adult xl, adult, child, toddler, baby, preemie, and holiday ornament sizes.
How these Simple Beanie Hats are Made
You can substitute almost any worsted weight yarn in this pattern successfully; just check your gauge before you start. I’ve found that Malabrigo Rios, a merino wool yarn, makes an excellent substitute yarn for this pattern.
These hats are worked in the round from the bottom up.
This is a beginner to intermediate knitting skill level pattern that requires a general understanding of knitting in the round, double point needles, and decreases. The larger sizes of this pattern have instructions for using circular needles, as I find working with a circular needle is just a bit faster than DPNs. However, if you don’t have these needles in your collection, you can make these hats with just DPNs. You can also substitute long circular needles and the magic loop method if you are familiar with that knitting skill.
- Adult Extra Large size fits adults with larger heads, or measuring 23 to 25 inches around.
- Adult size fits most adults and teens, or heads measuring 21 to 24 inches around.
- Child size fits children ages 2 – 14 years, or heads measuring 19 to 21 inches around.
- Toddler size fits children ages 3 months – 2 years, or heads measuring 16 to 19 inches around.
- Baby size fits infants from birth to 3 months, or heads measuring 13 to 16 inches around.
- Preemie size fits extra small babies, or heads measuring 10.5 to 13 inches around.
- Holiday Ornament size measures 3.5 inches by 3.5 inches; 7 inches around.
Find my full size chart and how to measure here.
If you use the materials suggested in this pattern, your final product will be machine washable. To keep your hats looking their best, hand wash or machine wash separately on delicate cycle in cold water. You may tumble dry on low heat, but laying flat to dry is recommended.
This listing is for a digital download of my hat knitting pattern, and is not a physical item. You will be able to download a PDF file immediately after your purchase has been processed. If you have any trouble with your order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This pattern is for personal use, gifting, and charitable donation of completed items. You may also sell handmade items created using this pattern. Do not copy this pattern and distribute it. If you’d like to share the pattern, refer your friends to my website, purlsandpixels.com/shop/, so they may obtain a copy.