Knitting Simple Fingerless Gloves
A Pattern by Liz Chandler @PurlsAndPixels
This simple fingerless glove knitting pattern shows you how to make your own basic fingerless gloves for everyone you know. These mitts are a versatile accessory because they keep your hands warm, while allowing your fingers the freedom to work, drive, text, take pictures, and more. These worsted weight gloves are light enough for fall and spring, but warm enough for everyday winter wear too. Make them in solid colors or mix it up with variegated yarn for a vibrant look. Simple and clear row-by-row written instructions walk you through each step of making fingerless mitts for all sizes. This pattern comes with complete directions for adult extra large, adult medium/large, adult small, child, toddler, and baby sizes.
How these Fingerless Mittens are Made
You can substitute almost any worsted weight yarn in this pattern successfully; just check your gauge before you start. I’ve found that Malabrigo Rios, a merino wool yarn, makes an excellent substitute yarn for this pattern.
These gloves are made one at a time, and worked from the bottom up on double point needles. You can also substitute long circular needles and the magic loop method if you are familiar with that knitting skill.
This is an intermediate knitting skill level pattern that requires a general understanding of knitting in the round, double point needles, increases, and decreases.
- Adult Extra Large size fits men with larger hands or 9 to 11 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 9 inches top to bottom.
- Adult Medium/Large size fits men and women with larger hands or 7.5 to 9 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 7 inches top to bottom.
- Adult Small size fits women with small hands and older children or 6 to 7.5 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 6 inches top to bottom.
- Child size fits most boys and girls age 4 to 10 years of age or 5.5 to 6 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 5 inches top to bottom.
- Toddler size fits most boys and girls age 2 to 4 years of age or 4.5 to 5 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 4 inches top to bottom.
- Baby size fits most boys and girls age 0 to 2 years of age or 3 to 3.5 inches around hand, without thumb; measures 3.5 inches top to bottom.
Find my full size chart and how to measure here.
If you use the materials suggested in this pattern, your final product will be machine washable. To keep your fingerless gloves looking their best, hand wash or machine wash separately on delicate cycle in cold water. You may tumble dry on low heat, but laying flat to dry is recommended.
This listing is for a digital download of my simple fingerless glove knitting pattern, and is not a physical item. You will be able to download a PDF file immediately after your purchase has been processed. If you have any trouble with your order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This pattern is for personal use, gifting, and charitable donation of completed items. You may also sell handmade items created using this pattern. Do not copy this pattern and distribute it. If you’d like to share the pattern, refer your friends to my website, purlsandpixels.com/shop/, so they may obtain a copy.